[Python-Dev] pkgutil, pkg_resource and Python 3.0 name space packages

Fri Jan 11 03:16:55 CET 2008

Reed O'Brien wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008, at 1:48 AM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
>> -On [20080108 17:07], Christian Heimes (lists at cheimes.de) wrote:
>>> Python's _winreg module and pywin32 expose several functions to
>>> get the paths from the registry but I don't think it has a simple
>>> function like get_mydocuments().
>> Careful with the name though. Microsoft Windows Vista did away with
>> 'My Documents & Settings'. It is now C:\Users.
>>
>> So you get:
>> C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\   (former Local Settings\Application Data)
>> C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\ (former Application Data)
>> C:\Users\<name>\Documents        (former My Documents)
>> C:\Users\<name>\Music            (former My Music)
>> C:\Users\<name>\Pictures         (former My Pictures)
>> C:\Users\<name>\Videos           (former My Videos)
> yay, next up posix support....

I suspect that the whole thing was done to make sure that developers
of applications could:
    A: cope with stupidly long path names.
    V: cope with spaces in path names.

I bet they never intended to keep the huge names, just to make you cope
with them.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org