[Python-Dev] Coverity Scan, Python upgraded to rung 2

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 06:11:21 CET 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 9:08 AM,  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>     Christian> I read the announcement of the Python Users list and figured
>     Christian> out that some of the other core developers might be
>     Christian> interested in the news, too.
>
>     Christian> Among other projects Python was upgraded to Rung 2 on the
>     Christian> Coverity Scan list: http://scan.coverity.com/
>
> I went to the run2 page:
>
>     http://scan.coverity.com/rung2.html
>
> I shows 6 uninspected defects for Python.  How do we see what they are?
> What is an uninspected defect?  Any idea how the Coverity folks compute
> Defects/KLOC?  For example, how does tcl manage to get a 0.0 score?

The 6 have been inspected by me and I never came to a conclusion of
whether they were a problem or not.  There are 3 things which should
be fixed and I haven't gotten around to them.  They are not a big
deal:

Python/traceback.c  	line 177
Objects/codeobject.c  	line 322
Modules/mmapmodule.c  	line 1080

For traceback.c, namebuf defined on line 155 should be moved out one
block since filename is an alias to namebuf and it is used outside the
current scope.  I think this is unlikely to be a problem in practice,
but is technically wrong and should be fixed.

For codeobject.c, line 327 should not be reachable.  I kinda like the
code as it is even though it is currently dead.  I never decided if I
wanted to change that or suppress the warning.

For mmapmodule.c, fd should be checked for -1 before calling stat on line 1064.

The rest were not obvious problems to me, and I never returned to them.