[Python-Dev] pkgutil, pkg_resource and Python 3.0 name space packages

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 15:01:04 CET 2008

On 09/01/2008, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> Only because Windows XP uses a stupidly long path with spaces in it.
> It's not actually *hard* to navigate manually to these directories.

The directories are also hidden. That does make it hard to navigate
there. I know you can un-hide hidden files, but I view the hidden
attribute as useful - just badly misused in this case, unless you
assume that these directories are intended to be left alone by the
user.

> What user editing is *meant* to be done with extension modules installed
> into a site directory. Programmer editing maybe... :-)

Sorry, I had drifted slightly off topic here. I don't have a problem
with user-specific extensions going in appdata, on the presumption
that we're talking code only (and excluding something obscure like
distutils' distutils.cfg file).

Paul.