[Python-Dev] pkgutil, pkg_resource and Python 3.0 name space packages

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Tue Jan 8 00:38:21 CET 2008

>The best existing indicator we have is the organization of the docs for
>the standard library. I, for one, have a hell of a difficult time finding
>modules via the "organized" table of contents in the Library Reference.
>Instead, I always go the the Global Module Index where the somewhat flat
>namespace makes it easy to go directly to the module of interest. I'm
>curious whether the other developers have had the same experience -- if
>so, then it is a bad omen for over-organizing the standard library.

I nearly always use my browser's search function to find the module of
interest, so yes, I'm effectively using a flat namespace.

>Another indicator of what lies ahead is the current organization of os vs
>os.path.  While that split-out was well done and necessary, I routinely
>have difficulty remembering which one contains a function of interest.

I mostly remember, but there are some notable exceptions: exists (posix
system call, expect to find it in os), walk (which is the old deprecated
one? have to check doc).

http://www.object-craft.com.au/