[Python-Dev] pkgutil, pkg_resource and Python 3.0 name space packages

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jan 7 17:32:13 CET 2008

At 01:48 PM 1/7/2008 +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>I also don't like the import mechanism hackery that's being
>used in setuptools to get namespace packages working.

I believe you're mistaken: there is no import mechanism "hackery" in
pkg_resources.  (__path__ is a documented *hook*, not a hack, and
it's the only import-related hook that pkg_resources uses).

And, if you don't like namespace packages, perhaps you should be
campaigning for this to be removed:

http://python.org/doc/2.4.1/lib/module-pkgutil.html

pkg_resources only updates the routine provided in pkgutil to be a
bit more automatic, and to better support PEP 302 and zipfile importing.