[Python-Dev] Rounding Decimals

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Mon Jan 7 07:51:32 CET 2008

[Jeffrey Yasskin]
>> > I'm not
>> > sure exactly what you're objecting to. Could you be more precise?
>>
>> You note said: "I'll implement Context.round() in a separate patch. Comment away."
>
> Oh, sorry for not being clear then. I don't intend to write or discuss
> that separate patch until this one's approved and submitted. I think
> it's worth discussing eventually, but this change is more important. I
> mentioned this sentiment at http://bugs.python.org/msg59417 too, but
> clearly wasn't explicit enough in either case.

It's hard to keep up with all of these patches and I'm growing concerned
that some will sneak by.  In the case of complex proposals, it is often
helpful to have a patch that we can discuss concretely, but in the case of
simple ones like this, they just clutter to patch tracker.  There's no need
to create the patch until the idea has been discussed.

In the case of Context.round(), I've already advised against it.
So, I'm not sure why you still intend write a separate patch
and bring it back up for discussion.  Ideally, it should die right now.

The sentiment is unchanged -- please do not build-out the API for the
decimal module.  It is intended to be minimal and needs to stay that
way.  Further additions will only make it harder to use, harder to
maintain, and will complicate efforts to rewrite the module in C.

Raymond