[Python-Dev] pkgutil, pkg_resource and Python 3.0 name space packages

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jan 7 04:23:10 CET 2008

At 04:23 PM 1/6/2008 -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>Regarding using common words, either the stdlib grabs these, or
>*nobody* gets to use them (for fear of conflicting with some other 3rd
>party package grabbing the same).

This isn't quite true; a standalone Python application that isn't
extensible doesn't need to worry about this.  And it's standalone
apps that are most likely to claim these common words.  (For example,
until recently, Chandler's database library packages were in 'repository.*'.)

But of course this is still a pretty minor point overall.  If the
stdlib does go for deeper nestings, I have a slight preference for
seeing them under std.* or some such rather than top level.  But I
don't really see a whole lot of point to doing a major re-org of the
stdlib space to begin with, for the simple reason that package names
are not really categories -- they're *names*.  IMO 'from databases
import sqlite' doesn't add any value over 'import pysqlite3' to begin with.

Worse, it will likely be an attractive nuisance for people saying
"why don't we have databases.Oracle?" and suchlike.  And you still
have to remember the names, only now they're longer.  And was it
database or databases?  Greater uniqueness of names is just another
reason flat is better than nested.  :)