[Python-Dev] pkgutil, pkg_resource and Python 3.0 name space packages

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Mon Jan 7 00:28:38 CET 2008

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 11:12:43PM +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
> If we want a "guaranteed-stdlib" package form, we should probably have
> a top-level package, "std" or whatever.

   py.

> That notion has, I believe,
> been shot down before (no time to look up references now).

   Mr Van Rossum has spoken against it many times.

   Now I think - if we don't want a separate Python's top-level namespace
may be we should think about a separate top-level non-Python's (3rd
parties') namespace? With it we could have database.sqlite (Python's
sqlite) and user.database.sqlite (a newer version); and by doing import
database.sqlite you know exactly what version you are importing.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru