[Python-Dev] pkgutil, pkg_resource and Python 3.0 name space packages

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 20:46:28 CET 2008

On 06/01/2008, Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote:
> What concerned me was your comment:
>
>     E.g. an user wants to overwrite Python's
>     databases.sqlite with a newer version of sqlite
>
> Maybe the situation is different here, but having someone installing a
> different version of sqlite behind my back makes me nervous.

Yes, that concerned me. Whether possible or not, I see this as bad
practice in general. On the other hand, allowing cx_Oracle to register
itself as databases.cx_Oracle - which is the basic "namespace"
functionality - is something I feel is important. (I have no idea if
the cx_Oracle author would want to do this, but I think the option
should be available).

Paul.