[Python-Dev] Return type of round, floor, and ceil in 2.6

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 09:13:46 CET 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 10:37 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > Well, as issue 1689 states, the backporting was commited by Jeffrey on
> > rev 5967 [2], so this is the time to understand if we want this or
> > not.
>
> This is a problem. Right now, in the trunk, math.float(1) returns 1,
> where it should return 1.0 for compatibility with 2.5. Jeffrey, can
> you fix this and similar incompatibilities you introduced?

Whoops! I've committed r59707 to fix math.{floor,ceil}. Let me know if
you find any other problems. ... Hmm. I've also changed the behavior
of round(2.5). I'll change that back tomorrow morning.

I haven't seen any answers to the original question. It looks like
Decimal is decided by 2.5 too: return a float from everything.
Rational, being a completely new type, is up to you guys, but because
new support for the conversion routines seems to be rare, it's
probably best to have it return floats too.

--
Namasté,
Jeffrey Yasskin