[Python-Dev] Contributing to Python

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jan 3 22:12:51 CET 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 12:17 PM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven
<asmodai at in-nomine.org> wrote:
> -On [20080103 20:39], Guido van Rossum (guido at python.org) wrote:
> >My main gripe is with code contributions to Py3k and 2.6; Py3k is
> >mostly done by a handful of people, and almost nobody is working much
> >on 2.6.
>
> You don't put the bar high for newbies on the Python project eh? :)
>
> I am assuming that most of those contributions code-wise need a fair amount of
> knowledge of Python's internals?

Actually, it goes all over the place. Some things (like doing "-3"
warnings for uses of .keys() that assume the result is a list)
required wizard level knowledge; other things are fairly simple. For
example, abc.py and _abcoll.py were backported successfully by someone
who was learning on the job. Backporting pure Python code often isn't
that hard.