[Python-Dev] Contributing to Python

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Thu Jan 3 20:53:04 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 02:49:27PM -0500, Fred Drake wrote:
-> On Jan 3, 2008, at 2:15 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
-> > My main gripe is with code contributions to Py3k and 2.6; Py3k is
-> > mostly done by a handful of people, and almost nobody is working much
-> > on 2.6.
->
-> For those of us still using Python 2.4 and earlier, it's hard to be
-> motivated to worry about Python 3.0, no matter how wonderful it
-> looks.  (It doesn't help that my own available time appears to
-> decrease daily with the kids and all.)
->
-> Python 2.6 seems to be entirely targeted at people who really want to
-> be on Python 3, but have code that will need to be ported.  I
-> certainly don't view it as interesting in it's own right.

3k and 26 are, however, the only place where we can propose new features
-- which makes it the place for cleanup and additional testing, as well
as backwards-incompatible bug fixes...

--titus