[Python-Dev] Return type of round, floor, and ceil in 2.6

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 08:52:46 CET 2008

I've been backporting pep 3141 to the trunk, and ran into the issue
that round, math.floor, and math.ceil, which it specifies to return
Integrals, currently return floats. Guido suggested privately that, to
make sure that 2.6 is compatible with 2.5, they should keep returning
floats for float arguments. Probably this implies that they should
also keep returning float for int and long arguments.

For other types, we're probably free to do whatever. Consistency
across all Real implementations suggests that those 3 functions should
always return their argument type. Consistency and compatibility with
3.0 suggest that they should return long for every new type we add
them to. What does the list think?

Thanks,
Jeffrey Yasskin