[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Python 2.6 and 3.0

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Feb 26 21:26:20 CET 2008

>> No, I still haven't found a solution. I do want to use the merge
>> module; anything else probably isn't going to work.
>
> Da...ng
> Didn't you prepare a new MSI installer for 3.0a2 that includes the VS
> Redist MSM for X86? I vaguely remember that you've replaced my installer
> with a new one.

Right. I produced a package that ships the CRT, but not by using the
merge module. Instead, I arranged to include sufficient copies of the
manifest file to make it work in the non-admin installation (and yes,
you do need to install multiple copies of it - just see the 3.0a2 MSI
file).

> The issue should be resolved before Python 2.6 and 3.0 are reaching beta
> stage. Maybe we can get some help from outside?

Perhaps. I'm confident that I can find a solution when I get the time;
I'm not so confident that I can find the time, though. Of course, I
would prefer if the outside help would propose something better than
"switch to this completely different technology; it may work" (unless
a complete working solution is presented in that other technology, and
as long as that other technology still creates MSI files with
free-as-in-beer tools).

In any case, contributions are welcome.

Regards,
Martin