[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Python 2.6 and 3.0

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Feb 25 23:06:11 CET 2008

> On the one hand a XML based MSI generator could be easier to maintain.

I've looked at it, and I seriously doubt that. In WiX, you need to
specify a fixed file list (perhaps with wildcards; I'm unsure). This
will be tricky for Python, where the list of files to be installed
changes all the time.

You *need* to have a turing-complete packing language (such as Python).

> On the other hand it would introduce another dependency to a 3rd party
> tool and things may get complicated if we leave the road. Automation
> tools tend to make common things really easy but special and uncommon
> stuff really hard.

Exactly so. When I started with MSI generation, and tried what comes
with Visual Studio, and found it unusable - it did not support Itanium,
and could not be changed to support it.

Regards,
Martin