[Python-Dev] February bug day outcome

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Feb 25 21:53:58 CET 2008

On Feb 24, 2008, at 10:06 PM, Neal Norwitz wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 6:52 PM, A.M. Kuchling <amk at amk.ca> wrote:
>> Yesterday's bug day was another success, closing 48 issues.  Several
>> committers were there: Facundo Bastista, Georg Brandl, and Christian
>> Heimes.  Facundo organized a local group of participants, and we
>> committed a number of contributions from new people.
>>
>> Should we have one next month?  The PyCon sprint will fall on Monday
>> through Thursday, and few people not at PyCon will be available
>> during
>> the work week.  OTOH, if we scheduled a bug day for the 29th, that's
>> two weeks after the conference, and we may have recovered from our
>> PyCon burnout at that point.  What do people think?
>
> I'd rather push it out to mid-month assuming Barry starts releasing
> alphas at the end of each month.  That should provide some time to
> stabalize.  Any one see the buildbots recently? :-(
> http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/all/

That's a really good idea.  At least for the alpha's I would like to
have a policy that the monthly release goes out unless

1) There are critical bugs open for 2.6 and/or 3.0
2) The important buildbots are red (maybe)

In either case, it should probably be a priority for bug day to repair
those failures.

On #1, I don't think there's a way to get roundup to give me exactly
that report, e.g. all critical open bugs on both 2.6 and 3.0.  Maybe
I'm missing something, but given my intent, I'd find that useful.  I
know I can get search for each Python version independently, so that's
good enough for now.  Right now, I believe there are no critical bugs
open on either version.

On #2, clearly we can't wait for greens across the board, so which
platforms are important enough to hold up a monthly release?  I'd say
something representative of the source release and each of the binary
releases we make, so maybe:

2.6: source = x86 gentoo trunk, windows = x86 xp-4 trunk, mac = g4 osx.
4 trunk
3.0: source = x86 gentoo 3.0, windows = x86 xp-4 3.0, mac g4 osx.4 3.0

Unfortunately, basing release status on buildbot health doesn't look
very encouraging. :(

- -Barry