[Python-Dev] Backporting PEP 3127 to trunk

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Feb 23 16:34:30 CET 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 2:57 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> Eric Smith schrieb:
>

> > Guido van Rossum wrote:
>  >> I wonder if, in order to change the behavior of various built-in
>  >> functions, it wouldn't be easier to be able to write
>  >>
>  >> from future_builtins import oct, hex  # and who knows what else
>  >
>  > This makes sense to me, especially if we have a 2to3 fixer which removes
>  > this line.  I'll work on implementing future_builtins.
>
>  Will the future map and filter also belong there (and if they are imported
>  from future_builtins, 2to3 won't put a list() around them)?

Good idea, on both counts! These an just be imported from itertools
anyway (except they should be wrapped in something that rejects a None
function).

And zip() ditto.

I suggest that if you don't implement this right away (while the bug
day is still on :), you at least add a feature request to the issue
tracker, marked easy.