[Python-Dev] Small RFEs and the Bug Tracker

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Sat Feb 23 03:40:19 CET 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 01:55:06AM +0100, Christian Heimes wrote:
> We have over 1,700 open issues - bug reports, feature requests and
> patches - in our bug tracker. In my humble opinion it's a sure sign for
> a problem.

Sure, but is that because the bug life cycle is sub-optimal, or
because we don't have enough people handling bugs?

I think for a long time we haven't been actively recruiting new
developers, and the pool of people with commit privileges remained
about the same.  Some committers go away, and some get caught up in
other projects, so the number of people who actually do work is much
smaller.  I think that's the primary problem to solve, and the bug
life cycle is much less significant.

I'm not against changing the bug cycle, just doubtful that changing it
will be a magic bullet for reducing the size of our backlog.

--amk