[Python-Dev] Small RFEs and the Bug Tracker

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Feb 18 22:10:39 CET 2008

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> -On [20080218 21:41], Brett Cannon (brett at python.org) wrote:
>> My issue with keeping the RFEs in the tracker as they are is that it
>> artificially inflates the open issue count. Python does not have over
>> 1,700 open bugs.
>
> An issue does not necessarily mean the same as bug. :)
>
> Is it a bug tracker you have or an issue tracker? If the former, agreed, if
> the latter then it makes sense to track RFEs in the tracker.

Certainly, but since some issues *are* bugs we might need to refine our
analysis somewhat. It would be better to have a bug report which omitted
issues of type "rfe". As far as I can see open issues of all other types
would be properly classified as bugs.

There there's the Status field. I understand "open" and "closed", but
what's the semantic of "pending". Is it awaiting triage, awaiting status
assignment, or what?

I quite like Django's "triage stage", see

http://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&group=stage&order=priority

The stages availabele appear to be "Accepted", "Someday/Maybe", "Design
decision needed", "Ready for checkin" and "Unreviewed". OK. maybe
"triage" wasn't such a good name for for a four-state condition, but it
serves a useful purpose and helps people understand what the ultimate
fate of issues they raise might be.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119