[Python-Dev] Py3k and asyncore/asynchat

Giampaolo Rodola' gnewsg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:42:46 CET 2008

asyncore and asynchat are in a difficult position right now since a
lot of patches for both modules are pending and no decisions are
taken.
In detail I'm talking about patches 1519, 1541, 2073 and 1736190 which
is the most important one since it includes a lot of fixes for other
reported issues (e.g. 1740572, 1736101, 909005).
As I said in 1563, IMHO your patch could be reviewed and eventually
committed only after 1736190 and others are committed and 2.x related
problems are solved.
Converting the code to 3.0 should be the last step also because my
perception is that your patch changes too much of the existing code:
a new iterator_producer, a different collect_incoming_data() behavior,
name mangling of internal variables and others.
...A lot of stuff which could be included in a second time.

I'm going to inform Josiah Carlson about this topic since he should be
the most experienced one about asyncore and asynchat.