[Python-Dev] Backporting tempfile.NamedTemporaryFile context management fix

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 13:53:42 CET 2008

In 2.5, tempfile.NamedTemporaryFile passes requests for __enter__ and
__exit__ through to the underlying file object, which ends up breaking
in a couple of different ways (by a fortuitous coincidence, it actually
works in most respects on Windows, so tempfile.TemporaryFile will mostly
do the right thing in with statements no matter what platform you are on).

This has been fixed on the trunk in response to issue 2021, but I'm not
sure of the current status of the 2.5 maintenance branch. Should I wait
until after 2.5.2 is released before backporting? Or backport it now?

Cheers,
Nick.