[Python-Dev] A wart which should have been repaired in 3.0?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Dec 27 07:37:20 CET 2008

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 10:58:07 am Nick Coghlan wrote:
> skip at pobox.com wrote:
> > The doc for os.path.commonprefix states:
> >
> >     Return the longest path prefix (taken character-by-character)
> > that is a prefix of all paths in list. If list is empty, return the
> > empty string (''). Note that this may return invalid paths because
> > it works a character at a time.
> >
> > I remember encountering this in an earlier version of Python 2.x
> > (maybe 2.2 or 2.3?) and "fixed" it to work by pathname components
> > instead of by characters.  That had to be reverted because it was a
> > behavior change and broke code which used it for strings which
> > didn't represent paths.  After the reversion I then forgot about
> > it.
> >
> > I just stumbled upon it again.  It seems to me this would have been
> > a good thing to fix in 3.0.  Is this something which could change
> > in 3.1 (or be deprecated in 3.1 with deletion in 3.2)?
>
> Why can't we add an "allow_fragment" keyword that defaults to True?
> Then "allow_fragment=False" will stop at the last full directory name
> and ignore any partial matches on the filenames or the next
> subdirectory (depending on where the common prefix ends).

For what it's worth, I think that the two pieces of functionality are
different enough that in an ideal world they should be two different
functions rather than one function with a switch. I think
os.path.commonprefix should only operate on path components, and if
character-by-character prefix matching on general strings is useful,
then it should be a string method.

--
Steven D'Aprano