[Python-Dev] Python-3.0, unicode, and os.environ

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 22:36:30 CET 2008

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:07 PM,  <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 at 11:25, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> But I'm happy with just issuing a warning by default.  That would mean
>> it doesn't fail silently, but neither does it crash.  Seems like the
>> best compromise with the broken nature of the real world IT
>> environment.
>
> OK, I can live with that too.

Same here.  This lets the application specify globally what should
happen (exception, warning, ignore via the warnings filters) and should
give enough context that it doesn't become a mysterious error in the
program.

The per method addition of an errors argument so that this isoverridable
locally as well as globally is also a nice touch but can be done
separately from this step.

-Toshio