[Python-Dev] Python-3.0, unicode, and os.environ

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 11:12:05 CET 2008

Terry Reedy wrote:
> This to be is an argument for keeping the default the current behavior,
> but not for rejecting flexibility.  The computing world seems to be
> messier than we would like and worse that I realized until this week. As
> you say below, people need to better anticipate the future, and an
> errors parameter would help do that.

It just occurred to me that this seems like a perfect situation to
address via the warning system. The normal warnings mechanics can then
be used to turn it into an exception if so desired, and this can be done
once per application rather than having to pass a separate argument
every time the affected APIs are called.

And the decoding problems don't pass silently either - they just get
emitted as a warning by default instead of causing the application to crash.

Cheers,
Nick.