[Python-Dev] Merging flow

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Thu Dec 4 19:52:05 CET 2008

Christian Heimes wrote:
> Several people have asked about the patch and merge flow. Now that
> Python 3.0 is out it's a bit more complicated.
>
> Flow diagram
> ------------
>
> trunk ---> release26-maint
>        \->      py3k       ---> release30-maint
>

> Patches for all versions of Python should land in the trunk. They are
> then merged into release26-maint and py3k branches. Changes for Python
> 3.0 are merged via the py3k branch.

Apologies if this has been discussed before. I looked but didn't see
anything.

Given that at least 99% of the changes for the trunk will not get merged
into release26-maint, doesn't it make more sense to merge the other way?
That is, anything that gets checked in to release26-maint would
potentially be merged into trunk. That would remove the huge number of
merge blocks that will otherwise be required. Same fore py3k and
release30-maint.

Eric.