[Python-Dev] String concatenation

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Aug 23 14:43:27 CEST 2008

 >Isaac Morland wrote:

> This would avoid accidentally leaving out commas in list construction,
> but tuple construction would still have the same problem.

Tuple construction already has a "no comma, no tuple" problem.  That
problem remains, but as soon as you add a comma, you'll get the same
protection as you get for lists.

 > And it's still a change in the language which would probably affect
 > lots of existing code.

Having read and written tons of existing code, I'm not so sure about
that.  A tool that wraps backslash-escaped blocks in parentheses would
take care of most cases.  What's left after that is probably ambiguous
to a human reader anyway.

<F>