[Python-Dev] [Pydotorg] Should we help pythonmac.org?

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Tue Aug 19 19:13:53 CEST 2008

> I've certainly heard many tales of Mac users coming to grief because
> they decided to overwrite their system Python, or tried to be clever and
> run multiple interpreters (which is usually somewhat less disastrous).
>
> I guess this underlines the fact that Apple don't really want the hoi
> polloi tinkering with their systems; it's somewhat tedious when code is
> released for later Python versions and you have to privately backport,
> though, isn't it?

I build lots of different versions of Python on my Macs, and it all
works fine.  I think people run into trouble when they try to
"replace" the system Python, in one way or another, for general use.
But if you want to bundle a different Python version in an app, or in
a framework-private bundle, it seems to be fine.

> There have been hints dropped that if the 2.6 release hits its deadline
> it will be incorporated into vendor builds. Let's hope one of them is
> MacOS, then at least it'll be relatively up to date.

Hah!  After spending years with Python 2.3 (for OS X 10.4), 2.5.1 is a
breath of fresh air.

Bill