[Python-Dev] [Pydotorg] Should we help pythonmac.org?

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Tue Aug 19 00:13:54 CEST 2008

On Aug 18, 2008, at 5:42 PM, Steve Holden wrote:
> Someone told me the other day that macports made for difficult
> installs, but not being a Mac user I wasn't in a position to
> evaluate the advice.

Not being a Mac user either, I've been using Mac OS X for about a year
now for most of my development.

I've got mixed feelings about macports:  It's painful to use, compared
to things like rpm and apt, but... it might be the best that's
available for the Mac.

I'm not going to trust it to give me a usable Python, though, in spite
of not having had problems with Pythons it provides.  Just 'cause I've
gotten paranoid.

> I'm copying the pydotorg list to see what, if anything, they have to
> say about it. That's where the work is likely to land, so we'd
> better know in advance if it would cause problems.

If there are content maintainers for the Mac content (including
installation packages of whatever form), then python.org is the right
place for it.  Presumably //someone// is creating those now, right?
If they could upload them to python.org and update the pages
accordingly, that should be no worse than anything they're doing now.

   -Fred

--
Fred Drake   <fdrake at acm.org>