[Python-Dev] [python-committers] PQM?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 23:04:33 CEST 2008

Christian Heimes wrote:
> Perhaps we could adopt a release plan similar to Ubuntu. They have
> releases with cool, new and bleeding edge stuff followed by a release
> that focuses on stability and long term support. Python 2.6 and
> especially 3.0 are releases with new features. What do you think about
> focusing on stability and long time support for 2.7 and 3.1? 2.7 might
> be the last version of the 2.x series and we sure gonna have to fix lots
> of issues in the 3.x series until it's matured.

I actually thought that was the plan for 2.7/3.1 ever since Guido
started talking about Py3k as a real thing instead of a "at some
unspecified time in the future" activity.

(Well, for 3.1 anyway - 2.6 should be as rock solid as we can make it,
but 3.0 is going to have issues with availability of third party
extensions no matter how solid or otherwise the core might be)

Cheers,
Nick.