[Python-Dev] BSDDB3

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Apr 23 08:12:45 CEST 2008

> I'm a bit nervous about syncing, because I have the feeling that
> python-dev is committing changes to python private branch of pybsddb. I
> would rather prefer patches send to me and integrate "canonical" pybsddb
> releases in Python frequently.

My understanding was that the pybsddb copy in Python *is* the official
code base. I think it's unfortunate that the pybsddb project was
revived, even though it was already dead.

Perhaps we should remove bsddb from Python again, and refer people to
pybsddb instead?

> Somebody suggested to post patches in the tracker, but I think this is
> not going to work. The diff from current python bsddb and the official
> version is so huge that nobody could follow it. A more sensible
> approach, I think, is to "diff" current python pybsddb against the
> version I used as my root (January?), integrate the changes in current
> "canonical" pybsddb and, then, drop the entire updated package into python.

-1. Who is going to do the 3k porting?

> I think this is the only way when integrating a project outside python
> SVN. Suggestions?.

The usual solution is to not integrate then, at all. Python doesn't
really ship with any libraries that also have an active life outside
of Python.

Regards,
Martin