[Python-Dev] GSoC Student Introduction

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Apr 23 08:03:13 CEST 2008

> See http://python.org/dev/bazaar/ for info. And if you have any other
> issues feel free to ask, Nick.

I certainly can't speak for the respective mentors, but I feel that
"use bazaar" really isn't the right answer to "can I get commit access?"

One motivation for GSoC is also community bonding, and having the
mentor (but not *only* the mentor) comment on the proposed changes,
and monitor the progress of the project. That the development branch
sits on the student's laptop doesn't really help in that process.

Instead, the student would have to push the branch somewhere to
a web-visible location. Now I question whether it's the student's
obligation to find a server himself, or whether the mentoring org
should provide the infrastructure (or, failing that, Google (*)).

So I think an answer to the question above involving bazaar might
be "yes, but please don't commit to subversion, but only to the
bazaar repository".

Regards,
Martin

(*) FWIW, Google does provide the infrastructure; students are
encouraged (required?) to commit their work to code.google.com.