[Python-Dev] Encoding detection in the standard library?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Apr 22 23:34:20 CEST 2008

On 2008-04-22 18:33, Bill Janssen wrote:
> The 2002 paper "A language and character set determination method
> based on N-gram statistics" by Izumi Suzuki and Yoshiki Mikami and
> Ario Ohsato and Yoshihide Chubachi seems to me a pretty good way to go
> about this.

Thanks for the reference.

Looks like the existing research on this just hasn't made it into the
mainstream yet.

Here's their current project: http://www.language-observatory.org/
Looks like they are focusing more on language detection.

Another interesting paper using n-grams:
"Language Identification in Web Pages" by Bruno Martins and Mário J. Silva
http://xldb.fc.ul.pt/data/Publications_attach/ngram-article.pdf

And one using compression:
"Text Categorization Using Compression Models" by
Eibe Frank, Chang Chui, Ian H. Witten
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=789742

> They're looking at "LSE"s, language-script-encoding
> triples; a "script" is a way of using a particular character set to
> write in a particular language.
>
> Their system has these requirements:
>
> R1. the response must be either "correct answer" or "unable to detect"
>     where "unable to detect" includes "other than registered" [the
>     registered set of LSEs];
>
> R2. Applicable to multi-LSE texts;
>
> R3. never accept a wrong answer, even when the program does not have
>     enough data on an LSE; and
>
> R4. applicable to any LSE text.
>
> So, no wrong answers.
>
> The biggest disadvantage would seem to be that the registration data
> for a particular LSE is kind of bulky; on the order of 10,000
> shift-codons, each of three bytes, about 30K uncompressed.
>
> http://portal.acm.org/ft_gateway.cfm?id=772759&type=pdf

For a server based application that doesn't sound too large.

Unless you're using a very broad scope, I don't think that
you'd need more than a few hundred LSEs for a typical
application - nothing you'd want to put in the Python stdlib,
though.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 22 2008)