[Python-Dev] Encoding detection in the standard library?

Mike Klaas mike.klaas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 22:46:26 CEST 2008

On 22-Apr-08, at 3:31 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

>> I don't think that should be part of the standard library. People
>> will mistake what it tells them for certain.
>
> +1
>
> I also think that it's better to educate people to add (correct)
> encoding information to their text data, rather than give them a
> guess mechanism...

That is a fallacious alternative: the programmers that need encoding
detection are not the same people who are omitting encoding information.

I only have a small opinion on whether charset detection should appear
in the stdlib, but I am somewhat perplexed by the arguments in this
thread.  I don't see how inclusion in the stdlib would make people
more inclined to think that the algorithm is always correct.  In terms
of the need of this functionality:

Martin wrote:
> Can you please explain why that is? Web programs should not normally
> have the need to detect the encoding; instead, it should be specified
> always - unless you are talking about browsers specifically, which
> need to support web pages that specify the encoding incorrectly.

Any program that needs to examine the contents of documents/feeds/
whatever on the web needs to deal with incorrectly-specified encodings
(which, sadly, is rather common).  The set of programs of programs
that need this functionality is probably the same set that needs
BeautifulSoup--I think that set is larger than just browsers <grin>

-Mike