[Python-Dev] Encoding detection in the standard library?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Apr 21 19:38:03 CEST 2008

To the contrary, an encoding-guessing module is often needed, and
guessing can be done with a pretty high success rate. Other Unicode
libraries (e.g. ICU) contain guessing modules. I suppose the API could
return two values: the guessed encoding and a confidence indicator.
Note that the locale settings might figure in the guess.