[Python-Dev] string representation of range in 3.0

David Wolever wolever at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Apr 16 15:54:38 CEST 2008

On 16-Apr-08, at 9:37 AM, Isaac Morland wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Paul Moore wrote:
>> On 16/04/2008, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:
>>> What about the less confusing and more readily generalizable:
>>>   <range object 0, 1, ..., 9>
>>>
>>> It would also be helpful IMHO to use this kind of repr for most
>>> built-in
>>> iterators and iterables, instead of their mosty-useless default
>>> repr.
>>
>> I quite like this. But as a non-beginner, I'll freely admit that my
>> intuitions are suspect :-)
>
> I like this too.  For iterators, though, would you always show the
> next
> couple of elements?  The values "contained in" the iterator will
> change as
> the iterator iterates.  Alternatively, the representation could be
> "frozen" to reflect the values originally pending in the iterator, but
> then the representation wouldn't show anything about the current
> state of
> the iterator.
So would you mean something like:
<generator object <__main__.Foo instance at 0x835d0>, <__main__.Foo
instance at 0x83620>, ...>
Or maybe:
<generator <__main__.Foo instance at 0x835d0>, <__main__.Foo instance
at 0x83620>, ... >

While I agree in theory, I'm not sure I like the looks of it in
practise.