[Python-Dev] how to easily consume just the parts of eggs that are good for you

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Apr 10 01:27:50 CEST 2008

zooko wrote:

> We  determined
> that if you install the egg (with easy_install or with a
> setuptools-powered ./setup.py install) in unzipped form then the  source
> file names get rewritten so that your stack traces come with  source lines.

That wouldn't have helped me with my problem, because I was
trying to use the traceback to track down where the file was
in the first place. I wasn't even aware that it was in an
egg at first.

I wouldn't have been using eggs at all if I hadn't been
tricked into it by some package telling me I had to use
easy_install to install it. If I'd known that setuptools
would make intrusive changes to the behaviour of my
system, I would never have touched it.

Is there a way of *un*installing setuptools? I'd like to
put my Python back the way it used to be.

--
Greg