[Python-Dev] [Distutils] how to easily consume just the parts of eggs that are good for you

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 00:52:08 CEST 2008

On 09/04/2008, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> "Stanley A. Klein" <sklein at cpcug.org> writes:
>  > A reasonable way to deal with Windows would be to create a package
>  > manager for it that could be used by Python and anyone else who
> > wanted to use it. [...] This is primarily a Windows problem, not a
>  > Python problem.
>
>  I'd rephrase this as: If you *must* re-invent package management for
>  those legacy systems without it, please *don't* make it specific to
>  Python.

And I would say that Windows doesn't have a problem. Are any Windows
users proposing building a package management system for Windows
(Python-specific or otherwise)? It's a genuine question - is this
something that Windows users are after, or is it just Linux users
trying to show Windows users what they are missing?

(BTW, it's unreasonable to call Windows "legacy" - whatever that word
means, Windows ain't it (yet...))

Paul.