[Python-Dev] how to easily consume just the parts of eggs that are good for you

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Apr 9 21:30:17 CEST 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 4:36 PM, Greg Ewing wrote:

> I discovered another annoyance with eggs the other day -- it
> seems that tracebacks referring to egg-resident files contain the
> pathname of some temporary directory that existed when the egg
> was being packaged, rather than the one it actually exists in
> at run time.

Brian Warner and I discovered that issue yesterday, too.  We
determined that if you install the egg (with easy_install or with a
setuptools-powered ./setup.py install) in unzipped form then the
source file names get rewritten so that your stack traces come with
source lines.

If you have a package which requires stack traces to come with source
lines, then you could pass "zip_safe=False" to the call to setup().

I would prefer that zip_safe=False were the default and that either
the producer or the consumer of a package had to specifically choose
zip_safe=True in order to install eggs in zipped form.

I've opened a ticket on my setuptools trac:

http://allmydata.org/trac/setuptools/ticket/4

Regards,

Zooko