[Python-Dev] how to easily consume just the parts of eggs that are good for you

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Wed Apr 9 18:24:22 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 11:37:07AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

> Moreover, many of us already have a database of *all* packages on the
> system, not just Python-language ones: the package database of our
> operating system. Adding another, parallel, database which needs
> separate maintenance, and only applies to Python packages, is not a
> step forward in such a situation.

I agree with you completely.  There are three things I can see myself
wanting from an easy_install command:

1) To download and install an RPM/dpkg to a system-wide location.  The
package is then removable using the normal system package manager.

2) To download the source of a package.

3) To install a package to my home directory.  I would much rather that
this hypothetical easy_install did `rpm --prefix "$HOME/.local" -ivh
some_package.rpm` than have a Python-specific database.

> > They both agreed that it made perfect sense. I told one of them
> > about the alternate proposal to define a new database file to
> > contain a list of installed packages, and he sighed and rolled his
> > eyes and said "So they are planning to reinvent apt!".
>
> That's pretty much my reaction, too.

Me, too.

--
Andrew McNabb