[Python-Dev] fixing tests on windows

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Wed Apr 2 22:58:03 CEST 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> Is using a fixed TESTFN just an old approach that predates the existence
>> of a robust tempfile module in the standard library?
>
> No. I believe the rationale for TESTFN is to provide a fixed name,
> precisely so that the test suite doesn't leave tons of garbage around.

I figured this was going to be the answer, and I wonder if it would be
better to use the tempfile module to generate unique filenames that are
all contained in a special directory. It would seem functionally
equivalent in the sense that removing the garbage is easy
"rmtree(TESTDIR)", and it would also solve the windows problem of files
that can't be unlinked. I suppose one would have to periodically
clean-up their temp folder of the files left behind, but that's still an
improvement over what is currently required if TESTFN is not unlinked.

The only reason I could see the switch being undesirable is if you
wanted to go read the test file by hand, but I'm not sure anyone is
doing that.

-Scott

--
Scott Dial