[Python-Dev] No time for svn merge

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Wed Apr 2 10:57:41 CEST 2008

Trent Nelson schrieb:
> I think holding a developer accountable for merging or blocking to py3k when they commit to trunk is a great idea.  Who better to pass judgement on such an activity than the person closest to it?

Blocking a revision makes my job as The Merger easier.

I'm not so sure about the merging part. It takes some experience with
the Python 3.0 code base to know the subtle differences in the C API.
Most merges are straight forward for me. If you enforce the forward
merging on every developer it may slow down development.
Each regular merge takes me about 45 minutes of computer time but less
than 15 supervisor time. The computer time is mostly compile and test
time in the background. If everybody merges her own code to 3.0 it still
takes *everybody* about 10 minutes of time and 45 minutes of computer time.

Christian