[Python-Dev] urllib exception compatibility

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Sep 27 22:23:58 CEST 2007

> How about making IOError, OSError and EnvironmentError all aliases for
> the same thing? The distinction is really worthless historical
> baggage.

+1 from me.

Should OSError and IOError become aliases to EnvironmentError?  I
assume WindowsError and VMSError will just directly subclass which
ever exception sticks around.

And should we bother with a PendingDeprecationWarning for IOError or
OSError?  Or just have a Py3K warning for them and not worry about
their removal in the 2.x series and just let 2to3 handle the
transition?

-Brett