[Python-Dev] Pygtk app and hangs.

jd jdsw2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 10:40:30 CEST 2007

Hi
  I have a non-trivial pygtk running in to
hangs/freezes.

Over all here is how program looks like.

gobject.threads_init()

gtk.main within threads_enter/threads_leave

All UI operaions in main threads.
Some call backs create UIWorker threads, UI worker
thread  does some work.. and then do gobkect.idle_add
to call a function that updates the UI.

I have a timer uses gobject.timeout_add.

the idle callbacks and timeout call backs are in
threads_enter/threads_leave.

I use some lib, that creates its own threads and does
socket operations.

Q. Anything I missed, or any suggestions. Is there a
comprehensive list/scheme on how to write a MT pygtk
app?

Q. I tried to setup debug version 2.5 but it fails
with

  import gtk
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py",
line 38, in <module>
    import gobject as _gobject
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gobject/__init__.py",
line 30, in <module>
    from _gobject import *
ImportError:
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gobject/_gobject.so:
undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_FromObject

What special switch do I need to give to the configure
while building python ?

Q. I have attached thread dumps. Any input on what
might be going  ?

Q. Modal dialogboxes event processing happens in the
main thread ?

Sorry for sending it to both the list. But the app is
pygtk while stack *seems* fairly clean (other than
main thread).

Thanks a ton, in advance.
/Jd

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/