[Python-Dev] C Decimal - is there any interest?

Mark Dickinson dickinsm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 16:05:42 CEST 2007

On 10/15/07, Mateusz Rukowicz <mateusz.rukowicz at vp.pl> wrote:
> [...] I
> would like to know if there is still interest in C version of Decimal.
> If so - should I write PEP, or just code and 'we'll see later'?

I'd be happy to see decimal.py replaced by a C version giving
essentially the same functionality.  I think the current decimal would
certainly benefit from a speedup: it's probably `fast enough' for many
applications, but it suffers horribly at high precisions:  addition of
two n-digit decimals takes time quadratic in n, for example.

Mark