[Python-Dev] OpenSSL httplib bug

Richie Ward richies at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 01:11:11 CEST 2007

I was using httplib to power my xml rpc script.

I had problems when I wanted to use SSL and I got this error:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/httplib.py", line 1109, in recv
    return self._ssl.read(len)
socket.sslerror: (8, 'EOF occurred in violation of protocol')

I figured out this was because of poor error handling in python.

May I suggest this as a fix to this bug:
$ diff /usr/lib/python2.5/httplib.py /usr/lib/python2.5/httplib.py~
1109,1112c1109
<         try:
<             return self._ssl.read(len)
<         except socket.sslerror:
<             return
---
>         return self._ssl.read(len)

Just a note. I am by no means a python expert, just good enough to get
my work done.
I use Ubuntu gutsy.
--
Thanks, Richie Ward