[Python-Dev] Build Notes for building trunk with Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Nov 23 18:51:57 CET 2007

On 2007-11-23 18:40, Christian Heimes wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Why not include the prebuilt libraries of all external libs in SVN
>> as well ?
>
> For one I'm still using Beta 2 of the standard edition and I'm not
> allowed to distribute binaries build with the Beta. With the new
> pre-build steps it's also very easy to build the dependencies. I don't
> like to add more binaries to the svn repos.

Fair enough - was just thinking that people compiling Python
on Windows are probably more interested in compiling the Python
code itself, rather than getting the 3rd party tools to compile :-)

>> BTW: Are you including the patented algorithms in the standard
>> OpenSSL build or excluding them ?
>>
>> The patented ones are RC5, IDEA and MDC2:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I'd opt for not including these algorithms, as it's just
>> too easy for the user to overlook this license requirement.
>
> Thanks for thinking about license problems! I didn't even think about
> checking the licenses since I was under the impression that restricted
> algorithms are disabled by default.
>
> I've disabled IDEA in the makefiles and configure headers of openssl.
> I've also added another step to the makefile patcher in build_ssl. It
> makes sure that the three algorithms are disabled.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 23 2007)