[Python-Dev] XML codec?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Nov 11 14:51:39 CET 2007

>>> A non-seekable stream is not all that uncommon in network processing.
>> Right. But what is the relationship to XML encoding autodetection?
>
> It pops up whenever you need to detect the encoding of the
> incoming XML data on the network connection, e.g. in XML RPC
> or data upload mechanisms.

No, it doesn't. For XML-RPC, you pass the XML payload of the
HTTP request to the XML parser, and it deals with the encoding.

> It is also not always feasible to load all data into memory, so
> some form of buffering must be used.

Again, I don't see the use case. For XML-RPC, it's very feasible
and standard procedure to have the entire document in memory
(in a processed form).

> This approach is also needed if you want to stack stream codecs
> (not sure whether this is still possible in Py3, but that's how
> I designed them for Py2).

The design of the Py2 codecs is fairly flawed, unfortunately.

Regards,
Martin