[Python-Dev] Minor ConfigParser Change

Joseph Armbruster josepharmbruster at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:16:57 CEST 2007

Fred,

My only motivation was style.

As per your comment:

"In general, we try to avoid making style changes to the code since that can
increase the maintenance burden (patches can be harder to produce that can
be
cleanly applied to multiple versions)."

I will keep this in mind when supplying future patches.

Joseph Armbruster

On 5/31/07, Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 26 May 2007, Joseph Armbruster wrote:
> > I noticed that one of the parts of ConfigParser was not using "for line
> > in fp" style of readline-ing :-)  So, this will reduce the SLOC by 3
> > lines and improve readability.  However, I did a quick grep and this
> > type of practice appears in several other places.
>
> Before the current iteration support was part of Python, there was no way
> iterate over a the way there is now; the code you've dug up is simply from
> before the current iteration support.  (As I'm sure you know.)
>
> Is there motivation for these changes other than a stylistic preference
> for
> the newer idioms?  Keeping the SLOC count down seems pretty minimal, and
> unimportant.  Making the code more understandable is valuable, but it's
> not
> clear how much this really achieves that.
>
> In general, we try to avoid making style changes to the code since that
> can
> increase the maintenance burden (patches can be harder to produce that can
> be
> cleanly applied to multiple versions).

No other motivat

Are there motivations we're missing?