[Python-Dev] Quoting netiquette reminder [Re: proposed which.py replacement]

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu May 31 08:30:40 CEST 2007

Aahz wrote:
> Guido has previously given himself explicit permission to violate
> netiquette (including the rule about top-posting).

Only in the Python mailing lists, I hope -- unless
he's declared himself BDFL of the whole Internet
as well. :-)

I suppose he could be considered to have a right to
do that, but it doesn't stop sloppy quoting practices
from being annoying and inefficient. The quoting
conventions that emerged in the early days did so
for good reasons -- they avoid squandering bandwidth
and aid clear communication.

To me, it's not so much a matter of politeness, but of
common sense.

--
Greg