[Python-Dev] The docs, reloaded [PEP?]

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Fri May 25 11:38:57 CEST 2007

Martin v. Löwis schrieb:
> Michael Foord schrieb:
>> This subject is generating a lot of discussion and [almost entirely]
>> positive feedback. It would be a great shame to run out of steam.
>>
>> Does it need a PEP to see a chance of it getting accepted as the formal
>> documentation system? (or a pronouncement that it will never happen...)
>
> No. First of all, it needs a dedicated developer (preferably, but not
> necessarily a committer) who indicates willingness to maintain that
> for the coming years and releases.
 >
> It might be that Fred Drake's offer
> to maintain the documentation would be still valid after such a switch,
> but we should not assume so without explicit confirmation. It might
> be that this would be the time to pass one documentation maintenance
> to somebody else (and I seriously do not have any one particular
> in mind here).

Assuming that Fred goes into well-earned retirement from the doc
maintainer position (private mail exchange hinted that way), and
nobody more qualified steps up, I'd be available to take that post.
(If someone else wants to take maintainership of the content, very good,
I'd have to be maintainer of the build tools anyway.)

I'd then try to form a doc maintaining team, just as the PEP editor team
that was created recently, to deal with the (hopefully relatively large ;) )
amount of comments and edit requests.

> Then, I think a should be made where the documentation is converted.
> Again, a volunteer would be needed to create the branch, and then
> eventually merge it back to the trunk. It might be helpful, but isn't
> strictly necessary, to close all documentation patches before doing
> so, as they all break with the conversion. For that activity,
> multiple volunteers would be useful.

I agree.

Georg